The ultrasound scan yesterday marked another milestone for us, although we did it two days before we reach 28 weeks. Annie’s local hospital has a level 3 neonatal intensive care unit and can take babies that are born at 28 weeks and weigh as little as 2 pounds. Any time before that, we risk having to go to a hospital with level 4 NICU in the neighboring state an hour away where surrogacy is illegal. Needless to say, Bob and I have been waiting for this day when we can breathe a sigh of relief. This day is almost here.
At the ultrasound yesterday, Annie was there with Kenneth and the boys. It was very unusual for them but they were 15 minutes late. I was patiently and not so patiently waiting at home for Annie’s video call as my mind was going to bad places, like accident or something. But I also knew that it was going to be fine. After a long time, Kenneth finally Facetimed me outside of the building as the reception was so bad in the ultrasound room that he wanted to work his way back into it. The video was going in and out with a message telling me that the connection was poor and the video would resume. I could still hear what was going on there but I could barely see the grainy black and white on the screen.
So here are the stats. Baby A had a heart rate of 141 and weighed 2 lb 10 oz. He/she was measuring 28 weeks 1 day. Baby B had a heart rate of 159 and weighed also 2 lb 10 oz. He/she was measuring 28 weeks 3 days. Considering that yesterday was 27 weeks 5 days, both of them were measuring ahead. Apparently since they are so much bigger now, the ultrasound tech had a difficult time measuring their length. Kenneth said that the babies’ foreheads were touching, with one lying on the side to the right and one lying on the side to the left. It sounds like there isn’t much room in there for them. Kenneth said that the babies seem to be resting but he said, “Trust me, they have been very active.”
I still think that Baby A is a girl and Baby B is a boy. But again, who knows, right? I could be all wrong. 🙂
After a little while, Annie called me in the exam room with Dr. OB so we could talk about the scan and the delivery date. Dr. OB is against moving the C-section date any earlier than 38 weeks. He really wants to give the babies a chance to grow and be mostly fully developed before we take them out. He told me that we could stick with 38 weeks 2 days like we have planned for all along, or he could call to reschedule for 38 weeks exactly. He didn’t know if it was a possibility because the hospital only allows three scheduled C-sections a day. I made a decision to just stick with September 15th since we have all been used to that date. I just like the sound of September 15th if the babies allow us to wait until that point.
Dr. OB told me that Bob and I need to get the vaccine for whooping cough in the next couple of weeks for it to be effective at the time of the birth. I’m thinking we should get my mom to do it as well.
Since I won’t be doing a tour at the labor and delivery at the hospital, I asked Dr. OB if I should call the hospital to speak with someone about the arrangement for me and Bob as intended parents on the day of the birth. He said that it would be a good idea and gave me the name and phone number of the director of that department. I will be calling the lady tomorrow to speak with her about the room available for us and the arrangement during the C-section.
In terms of the scan, Dr. OB said both babies are doing well. They are at 57th percentile, which to me is perfect. I don’t want them to be too small or too big. Right about the middle is great for Annie to carry them. Their breathing score (that’s what I call it) is good too, just like last time. They are basically very healthy and right on track.
Annie did her glucose test a couple of weeks ago. She passed this test with flying colors. She had no anemia, no protein in her urine, and no contractions. Her blood pressure was great. Basically, she is rocking this twin pregnancy so far with a clean bill of health.
I am just so grateful.
The next appointment will be two weeks from yesterday where Dr. OB will check on the babies’ heart rates and Annie’s general health. In four weeks, we’ll have another ultrasound to check on the growth. Bob and I will be there in 5 weeks to visit, and I will stay on that Monday to attend an appointment. Dr. OB and I discussed whether to postpone the ultrasound to 5 weeks from now so that I can see the scan, but he feels better to have the scan in four weeks. When I attend the appointment, he will do the nonstress test and maybe a bit of scan to show me the babies. He said that from 32 weeks on, Annie will have 2 nonstress tests each week, on Monday and Thursday. I like the sound of that. Basically, Annie will be monitored closely and regularly until the babies come to this world.
Tomorrow is 28 weeks when the 3rd trimester starts. We basically have 10 weeks left. Can you imagine? In 2 1/2 months, we’ll have Bunny and Okra in our arms….. It just sounds so crazy and amazing!