Tomorrow is the day we find out if any of the embryos have implanted.
I have examined my heart, and interestingly, I haven’t felt too anxious, yet. Tomorrow it will be different. But as of today, I am feeling as guarded and distant as I was on transfer day last week. I would like to be full of excitement and anticipation but I am not. We are hopeful; the embryos looked fantastic. We have been talking about having twins and how that may change our lives, but I am still taking things one day at a time without getting so far ahead of myself.
Remember that sper.m test that assesses the epigenetic information of the sper.m? We sent in the sample end of November and were promised the results in three weeks. When we checked in three weeks, we were told that the company needed two extra weeks. Two weeks rolled around and nobody had contacted us. Bob and I decided to transfer our embryos regardless of what the test shows. Finally last Thursday, three days after transfer, Dr. E received the results and consulted with the CEO of the company of them.
The test is called “Seed” which is run by this company called Episo.na. (You can google the name without the period in the middle of the word.) It tests the sper.m sample and yields two measures. The first one measures the risk of male factor infertility by identifying the number of epigenetic abnormalities presented by the sper.m sample. The second one measures the risk of poor embryo development by identifying the number of epigenetic abnormalities. The first measure shows that our sper.m sample shows significantly elevated risk for male factor infertility. It means that the chances of us conceiving naturally or through IUI are significantly reduced. So IVF is indicated in our case. Although this is not news to us, I am still very surprised that the underlying problems with Bob’s sper.m do not match his usually stellar semenalysis results. Fortunately, we have been pursuing IVF for a few years now so we are not crushed by the results. However, it means that the chances of us having an “oops” pregnancy are slim to none. I am realistic and not hoping for one, but I sometimes still dream that I’d be surprised one day.
I care a lot more about the second part that indicates the embryo development. Our results show that our epigenetic profile suggests no increased risk for developing poor quality embryos. I was so very relieved when I learned this. Our tested embryos are most likely going to be good quality. It is so rare to receive good news so both of us rejoiced in learning about it. It’s a huge weight off our shoulders. It means that even if this round doesn’t work, it is most likely that our last frozen embryo is good quality. Dr. E has another patient that also has significant risk of male factor infertility. The difference is, his results also showed significant risk of poor quality embryo development. That means that he may not be able to make any embryos, or his embryos may be very poor quality. I don’t take our good results for granted as it is not a given.
There is one catch about the results. There was one gene that was detected that indicates that perhaps Annie should be on a blood thinner like Loven.ox. Dr. E said that this isn’t something that she can say is based on too much science but as the CEO of the company put it, a blood thinner may help with the situation. I guess that particular gene may be associated with a higher risk of blood clotting problems presented by the embryo made with the sper.m? Don’t know. Annie was already on aspirin, but Loven.ox may be stronger for this case. I made sure to ask Dr. E that the injection is not going to harm Annie in any way if she doesn’t really need it. Dr. E reassured me that it is not going to do her any harm. Based on all the information we got, we decided to do it just so that we have all of our bases covered. Who knows what it all means, right? We are willing to pay for the extra cost for anything that may help.
The last few days were not without drama. Annie was told that she should have enough progesterone until the first beta. She and I checked her vial before she left and it seemed like she should have enough. Fast forward to Friday night, Annie sent me a frantic text asking if I had ordered the PIO already. I was shocked because I thought she had enough. It turned out she had sent me a text Wednesday but it somehow never showed up on my phone. I did not know about the shortage of her PIO. She only had enough for Saturday and Sunday. She would need new ones today. My first thought was, what if Fed.ex doesn’t deliver on MLK day? Then do we have to contact the local specialty pharmacies so that Annie could pick up some? I knew that the online pharmacy was going to be open on Saturday so I was going to call and place a refill. Annie checked online and found out that Fed.ex does deliver on MLK day. I also notified Dr. E. She said that if somehow the meds don’t reach Annie on Monday, her office would figure out something. I told Annie that next time if I don’t respond to her about something this important, ask me again.
I was still feeling very stressed out about the situation although I knew that it would be all sorted out. Bob was telling me that everything would be sorted out and urged me to give it to God. I couldn’t even pray so he prayed with me and for me so that I could sleep well and not be stressed about it.
On Saturday, I tried to call the online pharmacy at the time it opened. For the life of me I couldn’t get a hold of a live person on the phone. After trying a few times, I emailed Dr. E who immediately got on it. I guess there is a special physician’s line. While I waited, I also called Free.dom and asked if they’d send meds for a Monday delivery. They would, but it wasn’t needed. Within 15 minutes, Dr. E told me that our online pharmacy was open, and her nurse actually already ordered a new script. The pharmacy called me within the next ten minutes and we were good to go for a Monday delivery. I originally wanted to just order one vial to last her for about ten days thinking, what if she is not pregnant then I’d be spending too much money on something that we don’t need. But I eventually ordered all three vials by faith as I still believe that this will be our cycle for success. I hope that she will be able to use it all for this cycle.
Annie has not been feeling much. She said that one of her fellow surrogates is feeling a lot of symptoms after her day 3 transfer. I told her that anything she may feel right now could be due to the effect of progesterone, not anything pregnancy related. Plus she is somebody who never felt any symptoms for any of her pregnancies. I told her that it’s always hard to compare herself to others on the same journey. It will happen if it is in God’s plan, pregnancy symptoms or not.
So here we are at this very familiar juncture of our journey. Tomorrow could make all the difference in the world for our future. We’ll see what God has in store for us.