Eli is so much like Clay. Even its progression.
Got an update this morning that Eli is now a 4 cell grade 1 embryo on day three. Clay was too at this stage. You can read about it here. We were so devastated the last time it happened. We had to make a quick decision the morning of the day three transfer if we should transfer the embryo. I cried. It was a very tough decision to make. We were not prepared for it.
Today, the situation was totally the opposite. I was at my Bible Study leaders meeting. I was trying to be good and not check my phone for an email from Dr. E until after the meeting was over. There was no news when I checked the first time. The email came about 20 minutes later. Dr. E, like last time, gave us a choice. The following is her email:
“It’s a 4 cell grade 1 today. We can: a. transfer today b. still wait and transfer it with the frozen day 5 c. transfer the day 5 frozen embryo only if this one doesn’t make it. I’ve seen 4 cell grade 1 embryos turn into beautiful blasts.”
Bob and I talked on the phone. I was relieved to see that it isn’t a 3 cell grade 3 embryo like Daisy who did not survive. It’s grade 1 just like Clay. Just a little slow. It would’ve been nice for it to be 5, 6, 7, or 8 cell at this point. But it is not. We have to accept that and move on. Bob was jumping up and down with joy. He thinks that we still have a good chance for Eli to survive, just like what Clay did. He’s happy that it’s a grade 1. So our inclination is to wait until day 5, see how it grows, and put it back with Clay.
Chatted with Dr. E afterwards. She told me that not too long ago, one of her patients had a 4 cell grade 1 on day three that turned into a 5AA blastocyst and a pregnancy. Anything is possible. So we as a team decided to wait and see. We’re definitely transferring Clay. Let’s hope that Eli continues to grow and we will have both put back without any hesitation.
Grow Eli grow!